Rachel in Tokyo

This is a blog about an American law school student studying in Tokyo for the semester.

Monday, June 12, 2006

着物 My first Kimono!

When I went to Kameido on Saturday, the 10th, I was met with an incredible surprise! Sanae had bought me my first Kimono! She is so great to me. I love my Kameido family!

It is a summer kimono, which is very lightweight and practical. Not to mention less expensive than the traditional Kimonos (which can sometimes sell for more than ten thousand dollars!) In fact, when a Japanese bride gets married, sometimes her Kimono takes up to half of the entire budget for the wedding!
I was very happy with my Kimono, though, it's has a beautiful pink bow with yellow satin underneath!

Kimono (Japanese: 着物, literally "something worn", i.e., "clothes") are the traditional garments of Japan. Originally kimono was used for all types of clothing, but it came to refer specifically to the full-length garment that is still worn by women, men, and children.

Kimono are T-shaped, straight-lined robes that fall to the ankle, with collars and full-length sleeves. The sleeves are commonly very wide at the wrist, perhaps a half meter. Traditionally, on special occasions unmarried women wear kimono with extremely long sleeves that extend almost to the floor. The robe is wrapped around the body, always with the left side over the right, and secured by a wide belt tied in the back, called an obi. Kimono are generally worn with traditional footwear (especially geta, thonged wood-platform footwear; and zori, a type of thong-like footwear) and split-toe socks called tabi.

We had a great night all-around. We played charades and drew pictures. Alyshia is always so happy!

And Asonari was a STAR! He was on a tv commercial! Although, I don't think you can see his picture here.


Alysha's summer Kimono is a beautiful pink and red with many summer shades of pretty flowers.

Thank you for my first Kimono!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wicked Words said...

Wow, it looks great! Yay! Maybe you and Jeremy can meet up in Tokyo this summer and be the gaijin kimono crew.

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! ^^

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home